As autumn concludes and winter begins its decent on the city, it's time to think about winterizing your house. Taking extra precautions now can save time, money, and headaches in the future. Genco Lee Renovations offers some helpful tips on making sure your home or apartment is ready for this winter.
- Check your heating system. Have a professional do a routine check before turning on your furnace for the winter. In addition, clear out dust from vents, as this will allow more air flow and make your heating system run more efficiently.
- Program your thermostat. Set it to an average of 72 degrees. Also use a timer to turn off your heating unit when you are not home.
- Add or replace weather stripping around doors and windows. Creating an airtight seal will prevent money (hot air) from flowing out your window.
- Use caulking and weather stripping around entry points for all pipes and ducts that travel through an exterior wall.
- If you have a fireplace, have it inspected and cleaned.
- Check your roof for holes and loose shingles.
- Clean the gutters and point spouts away from the house. Stagnant water will collect, freeze and make your home an unnecessary icebox.
For more helpful tips on keeping your home warm this winter, and other home renovation advice, visit Genco Lee Renovations.